Friday, May 22, 2020

The Last Dance: Get Ready to Become a Basketball Fanatic

Over the past five weeks, I've been recommending The Last Dance to a lot of people. And they look at me oddly, because what business do I have recommending a basketball documentary about Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls' amazing championship-winning run in the 90s? Prior to watching this documentary, I knew who Michael Jordan was, I knew he played for the Chicago Bulls, and that was about it. I knew nothing about the team's legacy. I had no clue Scottie Pippen (a name I had heard of, but only vaguely) and Dennis Rodman (another name I had heard of, but mostly as a weirdo basketball player who people love in North Korea), were Jordan's teammates during that championship run. I had never heard of head coach Phil Jackson, or general manager Jerry Krause. But oh man. I know it all now. And it is AMAZING.

First off, this ten-part series has been touted as a "Michael Jordan documentary." And yes, he is the main focus, which is off-putting to a lot of people who think he is a jerk. I, for one, had absolutely no idea that he had this reputation, but boy, after watching this series, I sure did get that impression. Which is impressive as he had final say over everything in the series, so he must be even more of a raging asshole in the unedited version of all the interviews and clips. But putting him aside, the true joy of this series is in its unwavering devotion to the sport of basketball and teamwork. The episodes where you get more information about Scottie Pippen, Steve Kerr, and Dennis Rodman serve as an excellent reminder that Jordan wasn't a one-man show - he may have been the Most Valuable Player, but he would not have won a single trophy without those men on his team providing impeccable defense and assists.

The series follows a tantalizing structure - it is ostensibly about the Bulls' 1997-8 season that Phil Jackson dubbed "The Last Dance" as Jerry Krause has announced he would be rebuilding the team the next year without Phil. As you can imagine, that caused quite a stir. But as we follow that season and all the rancor between the players and the head office and their pursuit of a sixth championship, we also flashback one-by-one to the previous seasons where they won five championships over seven years. The series is building to this crescendo of whether or not the Bulls will win their sixth title in 1998 and get their second three-peat: many of you reading this may be fully aware about whether they managed to do this or not, but as a complete basketball novice, I had no idea, and I purposefully avoided Googling this information or reading any reviews of this show until I watched Episode 10. In this day and age, it is still amazing that I could be spoiled about a famous event that took place two decades ago, but let me tell you, it was a nail-biting thrill from start to finish.

The Last Dance is an example of documentary filmmaking done right. You don't have to know anything about the subject matter and it still manages to pull you in and give you a compelling narrative that gets you invested for the long haul. It is a celebration of athleticism and offers up such a pulse-pounding recap of all these games that honestly, I think I might start watching the NBA whenever they are allowed to play again. The music choices are also A+ and perfectly capture the spirit of the time. When Fatboy Slim's Right Here Right Now started playing in Episode 10 as a particularly stellar match took place, I was reminded of why I loved this show so much. Every Sunday, when that theme music started playing, I knew I was settling in for a wild ride about a team at the height of its powers, a player who is the pettiest man alive off the court, but an absolute magician on the court, and a series of heartstopping games that showcase the power, artistry, and sheer joy of live sports. There are interviews with sports commentators, Hall of Fame players, and even "Former Chicago Resident" Barack Obama and "Former Governor of Arkansas" Bill Clinton, and all of these people are lit up with passion and profound happiness as they recount what it was like to watch these players and these games in the 90s. All told, it is a masterful feat of storytelling and well worth your time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment