Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Alchemist: A Shepherd's Guide to Living Well

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is one of those books I've heard about and seen on many lists of 100 Books You Must Read. I put off reading it since I was under the impression that it would be impossibly long-winded and dull, like lots of "must-read" books tend to be. But when I found a copy at the library that looked disarmingly slim and legible, I figured it was time to give it a shot.

The book is an allegorical fable. If that already makes you roll your eyes, please bear with me. In the daunting realms of allegorical fiction, this novel is actually rather beautiful, and also, a very quick read. It took me less than 2 hours to finish, so if nothing else, you can read this book rapidly and cross it off your must-read list. But I hope you will try to savor it because it did succeed in winning me over with its simplicity and charm. It tells the tale of an Andalusian shepherd named Santiago who finds himself on a quest to go the Pyramids in Egypt to find treasure. This quest is based on a gypsy's interpretation of Santiago's recurrent dream. This interpretation is further corroborated when he meets an old king who tells him that this quest is his Personal Legend, his destiny that must be fulfilled before it is forgotten through the mundane business of day-to-day living. The inspired Santiago sells his flock and sets off for Africa, where he encounters numerous hurdles, successes, thieves, and friends, that play an integral part in his quest for treasure. Along the way he meets the alchemist, who teaches him more about the universal language and the Soul of the World.

Concepts like a "Personal Legend" and "Soul of the World" sound like the ridiculous material you can expect in any allegory, but they are presented so matter-of-factly and forthrightly in this novel that you are able to understand them without being irritated by any sense of literary high-mindedness. This book is filled with eminently quotable lines and I'm sure anyone who reads it probably walks away with a few favorites that they will quote for the rest of their lives. Like all good stories, it has different things to teach you depending on who you are and what your life is like at the moment, and I have no doubt that if I read this book 20 years from now, I will take away an entirely different message and have entirely different lines and passages that stick with me. But for now, these are the two moments I particularly enjoyed.

When Santiago and the alchemist are waylaid by dangerous tribesmen in the desert, they are asked to explain the contents of the alchemist's pouch, which contains the Elixir of Life and the Philosopher's Stone. The alchemist tells the men exactly what these items are: "Whoever swallows that elixir will never be sick again, and a fragment from that stone turns any metal into gold." The men simply laugh at this absurd declaration and let the travelers go on their way. When the stunned Santiago turns to the alchemist and asks him why on earth he would tell those men the truth, the alchemist replies, "To show you one of life's simple lessons...When you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed." I found this to be both hilarious and true. You can surmise what that means about how people react to my personal dreams and ambitions at the moment. The other line that made me laugh was when Santiago asks the alchemist if a man's heart always helps and protects him. The alchemist replies, "Mostly just the hearts of those who are trying to realize their Personal Legends. But they do help children, drunkards, and the elderly, too." So remember this, if you are middle-aged and unsure of what your destiny might be, you can always become an alcoholic so that your heart will protect you.

I know the quotes I've mentioned are more humorous than profound, and there were plenty of moments throughout the book which I found truly moving and meaningful. But ultimately you should just seek those out for yourself, because you will find them meaningful for entirely different reasons than I did. So read this novel and get back to me with the quotes that stuck with you. It's a story that teaches you a great deal about how to live your life, and will also reveal a great deal about the way you're currently living your life. Maybe after reading it you will be inspired to discover and follow your Personal Legend. If you do, I promise I won't laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment